Monday, July 29, 2013

"The Call" -- CCCOG Newsletter Article for August



         


            Ready or not, here comes August. July has been a little bit of a breather for me, as I am sure it has for many of you as well. I always enjoy celebrating our Nation’s independence on July 4. It was a little rainy this year, but it was still an enjoyable season. We should not hasten to be thankful for this great and wonderful country in which we live. As July continued, Kasey and I took a week’s vacation and spent some time at the beach. It is a beautiful sight to see. As the waves crash in, I see God’s handiwork. A little time at the golf course and a little time at the beach and I was ready and anxious to get back to work. I always enjoy traveling, but I also enjoy coming home. I am rested and ready to hit this August hard. August is when youth group season starts. As a matter of my opinion and observation, I think the most effective time for youth ministry pretty much follows the school year. I think when school starts and lives go back to normal, things fall back into a routine. Church life and youth group are no exception. This is a time for youth pastors like myself to capitalize on the opportunities to build relationships with the young people. Students will never get serious about Christ unless they can see a real relationship with somebody who is exemplifying Christ’s love. This is a Biblical challenge to us all. 
 
               Looking ahead, I would like to share some of the opportunities that lie around the corner. A couple of those opportunities are extremely exciting. August the 14th will be a special service for the youth at Cedar Creek. We will be having our back to school bash. This is an opportunity to kick off the season with a bang. The students have been urged to invite several friends to this time of food, fun, and fellowship. It is an opportunity to welcome new students from the high school as well as a reminder to some of those who are returning. Please pass the word along. Also currently, several of the students are trying hard to restart our drama ministry. They are practicing often and putting their heads together in a strong effort. Their hopes are to possibly travel to sister churches and present a service of drama, song, and Word. I am excited as well; I love seeing them motivated for the cause of Christ. Moving into September, we will be hosting a Public Servant Appreciation Sunday. This was again an idea from the students. In remembrance of the 9-11 tragedy/season, they decided that they would like to publically thank the public servants (police, fire, EMS, etc…) that serve our community selflessly every day. Therefore, we are going to acknowledge their service on Sunday the 15th by offering a special service in their honor as well as a banquet to follow. There will be more about this in the September issue of The Call, but please be in prayer for this event already. Also, if you would like to be involved, please see me. September also holds the Tennessee State C.O.G. Youth’s Fall Retreat. It will again be at Camp Crossville this year and the dates are September 20-22. It is always a fun, Godly experience, and this year will be no different. The speakers will be Tiger Brooks and Dough Hallock while worship will be led by the popular Julian Drive. The cost of this trip will be $40 and a deposit of $20 will is due by August 28.  
 
               I am excited about what is ahead for the coming year. I am confident that God will bless our lives and His ministry. Most of you know already, but I would like to publicly share a bit of excitement. If everything goes well, Kasey and I are going to be parents sometime around the end of January. We are excited and nervous as well. We would appreciate your prayers. I see all of the little ones running around here at Cedar Creek and I am excited about adding another one to the bunch. I can think of no better place to introduce our child to the love of God than here at Cedar Creek. I know that our Church family will help us in that process. 
 
As for now, may God bless your back-to-school ventures and I hope that the coming season will bring us closer to God and each other! See you Sunday!

 Blessings,

Pastor E.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment