Tuesday, June 11, 2013

There is a special place in Heaven for camp directors!

      It is a selfless act that all too often goes unrecognized. Anybody who has ever worked with youth and/or planned a week-long event knows the difficulties and abnormalities that can and will arise. As I've mentioned in another post, when good things are happening Satan is going to work overtime to try to destroy them. An example of that would be the most current camp issue. The camp directors found out on Monday that the speaker for the week was laid over in California and wouldn't make it in time for the first service. Happenstance you say? No, says I! Blame it on the devil. It happens every time. You can bank on it. However, "greater is He that is within [us] than he that is within the world." Our God provided as He always does and an amazing local speaker stepped up and offered an amazing first service. Needless to say, I am looking forward to what God has in store for this coming week.
  The local summer camp here in Greene County is logically deemed Camp  Greene. Camp Greene is a local hot spot for summer God activities. I never took the opportunity as a child and teen to enjoy this occasion, but I have grown to love it as an adult and youth pastor. It seems that God is blessing this particular camp. It is my understanding that the camp had been diminishing in participation in past years, but it has exploded in the past five. The reason for its recent success is (along with God's blessing) the willingness and eagerness of individuals to take the reigns and seriously devote time and effort to this cause. For the fear of leaving someone out, I am not going to name names. However, my hat is off to those who dedicate weeks of their year to this occasion.

     I enjoy assisting with camp for several reasons. First, I enjoy seeing the students grow closer to God. That is a main objective in my life, and I thoroughly enjoy it. Also, student ministry is about relationship building. If you can't build effective relationships with the students then they're not going to open up when it is time to deliver God's word and offer other ministry. Camp is a great opportunity to build on those relationships. Camp time is also a time of unity. Unity is a big part of God's plan for the Church and it is a part that is overlooked and ignored way too often. Adults in the Church could learn quite a bit from the students at camp. I love seeing them mingle with those from different congregations. That is the way it is supposed to be and it is exemplified well at Camp Greene! I’m not sure if you know it or not, but there will be no denominational divide in Heaven. Finally, I enjoy camp because I am not in charge. I know that sounds selfish and I hope you'll forgive me. However, all year long I am in charge and responsible. It is nice to be out of that role once in a while. I offer my assistance every chance I get and I try to be there as much as I can, but I am not the one in charge... and it's nice. There is nothing wrong with being the bus driver and the cat-herder for a couple weeks. Again, thanks to those who put forth such an effort to deliver God's word and love to a generation who all too often are getting overlooked. There is a special place in Heaven for people like you!

No comments:

Post a Comment